The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] A non-numeric value encountered - Line: 499 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.1.14-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 499 errorHandler->error
/global.php 459 my_date
/showthread.php 24 require_once
Warning [2] A non-numeric value encountered - Line: 499 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.1.14-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 460 my_date
Warning [2] A non-numeric value encountered - Line: 394 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.1.14-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 394 errorHandler->error
/global.php 466 my_date
Warning [2] A non-numeric value encountered - Line: 395 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.1.14-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 395 errorHandler->error
/global.php 466 my_date
Warning [2] A non-numeric value encountered - Line: 396 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.1.14-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 396 errorHandler->error
/global.php 466 my_date
Warning [2] A non-numeric value encountered - Line: 474 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.1.14-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 474 errorHandler->error
/global.php 466 my_date
File Line Function
/global.php 818 my_date
Warning [2] A non-numeric value encountered - Line: 394 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.1.14-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 394 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 163 my_date
/showthread.php 1063 build_postbit
Warning [2] A non-numeric value encountered - Line: 395 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.1.14-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 395 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] A non-numeric value encountered - Line: 396 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.1.14-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 396 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] A non-numeric value encountered - Line: 474 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.1.14-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 474 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 365 my_date

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Aggro 101

Reposting this here as per request. An in depth guide to aggro. This applies to all areas in the game, even doing normal mode missions, but uses examples from and makes references to DoA. Understanding how these mechanics work will save your life and prevent wipes countless times.

Quote:It seems a lot of people still don't understand aggro, so let's do this.

When another person is in aggro, casting on them will give you aggro.
Attacking a spirit cast by a foe will give you aggro of the group that cast it.
When another person is in aggro, touching what they have aggroed will give you aggro.
When part of a group is killed, touching a corpse of a foe in that group will give you aggro.

When another person is in aggro and you get aggro from them, you must die. You can run 200 compass ranges away from that person but you will still have aggro (assuming the first person is still alive and holding agro) and as soon as you return to the aggro's compass range they will continue following you.
The exclusion to this scenario is that you have escaped aggro radius (though you still technically have aggro), but the person who is holding it dies, all aggro is erased.

Corpse Aggro: When a foe dies it leaves a corpse and if other foes from the mob it came from are still alive, when you get within aggro range of this corpse, the remaining foes will be aggroed (almost) regardless of the distance between them and the corpse. Corpses expire after a short time with the exception of (in DoA) spiders, whose corpses last indefinitely.
This mechanic is really only problematic in Veil where you might wipe on 6-0, or bad Fury spikes where spider corpses will give you agro. In the event of a wipe, either:
A) Wait for remaining enemies to recede a fair distance that you can get within corpse aggro range to rez and run away before the remaining foes linked to that corpse can catch up to you, or
B) Wait for the corpses to vanish.

Fun fact, since this really only pertains to Veil: only Golems leave corpses. Horrors, Brutes, Fiends, and Hungers leave no corpse.

Examples:
Person A is the tank and Person B is the healer.
Person A is balling aggro and Person B casts a spell on them, Person B has aggro.
Person B runs away and Person A dies. Person B no longer has aggro.

Now let's add a third person.

If Person B runs away, but Person C, our trusty spiker, thinks to themselves, "Hey, lets try and kill the aggro!" and they get aggro themselves, Person A and Person C both need to die before Person B will lose aggro.
If Person A dies while Person C is spiking, Person B still has aggro. If Person C tries running away after Person A dies (and is surviving), Person B still has aggro.

These same principles work for NPCs. If Yendzarsh casts Energy Burn on a spirit as it is running past, Yendzarsh has aggro, and will continue maintaining aggro until:
A) the person who had their aggro first dies and Yendzarsh outruns it (the most unfavorable situation, most prone to failure)
OR
B) the tank breaks the aggro onto the rest of the team (aggro is more attracted to squishy Mesmer and NPC than tank, even though tank still technically has aggro) and the aggro is killed

If you have a spirit like EoE or a summon up, and a group aggros that, you have aggro.

If people ask you to go die if you have aggro, don't just stand there going "durrr, what now?", no, just go die. We know what we're talking about.

If you, for some reason, accidentally get aggro, immediatly go die. And, please admit that you had it! We won't be angry that you got it, shit happens, but we will be angry if you refuse to admit it! Honesty is something very important.

Credit to Fissure - DoA Professor.